The Wide World of Urethane
An Exploration of The Extensive Applications of Polyurethane and The Advantages it Brings to Operations
Polyurethane is one of the most versatile materials for making parts and products, as it is available in a variety of sizes, durometers, formulations, tolerances and colors for use in a wide range of applications. In addition to the unmatched versatility, polyurethane is also one of the strongest, toughest and most durable materials. In fact, urethane parts are commonly viewed as a better value, because parts made with other materials often crack, break, tear, swell, deteriorate and abrade.
Key Advantages of Polyurethane Products and Parts
When looking to manufacture custom parts, key competitors of polyurethane are typically rubber and plastics. Not only is polyurethane stronger, tougher and more versatile than the urethane alternatives, it also has many other advantages.
Advantages of polyurethane products and parts include:
- Eliminates the risk of leaving visible smudges due to its non-marking material makeup
- Is available in a variety of custom colors for easy recognition and part segmentation
- Reduces the need to replace parts because of tougher physical properties which extends the wear
- Will not crack or break under pressure
- Absorbs shock and weight and will return to the original shape
- Can be molded to meet the exact specifications with consistent quality
… and many more
Extensive Applications of Polyurethane Parts and Products
Due to its extreme versatility and durability, polyurethane products can be used across a variety of applications, providing the reliability and strength to outlast the competition. A few of the most common applications of polyurethane include:
- Polyurethane Rollers: Leveraging custom made urethane formulations, polyurethane rollers are wear and cut resistant, can carry up to four times higher load than rubber and stand up to harsh environments. This makes urethane rollers the perfect solution for high-stress applications, such as load wheels, conveyors and pulleys.
- Polyurethane Rods: Made of tough, crack-resistant and abrasion-resistant polyurethane, urethane rods last significantly longer than conventional rubbers and plastics. Available in custom diameters, lengths, hardness and colors, urethane rods provide the versatility needed to meet any specification.
- Polyurethane Rings: Developed from tough, premium grade urethane, polyurethane rings will hold up in a wide range of applications. Available in custom sizes, formulas, colors and durometers, urethane rings offer tight tolerances, ground finishes and can be custom formulated to meet specific needs, including FDA wet or dry requirements.
- Polyurethane Tubes: Created with premium grade urethane, polyurethane tubes can be customized to meet unique specifications (diameter, length, hardness and color), developed with tough tolerances and have the ability to withstand a wide range of applications.
- Polyurethane Sheeting: Available in any color, durometer and custom sizes, polyurethane sheeting can be developed to meet your project’s specific requirements. Perfect for even the most severe applications, urethane sheeting can be created with extremely tight tolerances and has the ability to be as transparent as window glass.
- Polyurethane Safety Seals: Made from durable polyurethane, urethane safety seals of drain protectors, barrel patches and conical plugs are chemically resistant, provide a tight seal and are designed to stop or prevent spills, including hazardous materials.
Additional applications for polyurethane parts and products include:
- Capper Rings
- Cutting Surfaces
- Flexible Couplings
- Metal Forming Pads
- Pinch Rollers
Stronger, Tougher and More Durable Than the Alternatives
Polyurethane products deliver important advantages over conventional elastomers and plastics – they are stronger, tougher, more durable and more versatile. Because of this, urethane parts and products can be used across a variety of applications and are commonly recognized as a better value than parts made with other materials which often crack, break, tear, swell, deteriorate and abrade, causing expensive interruptions and slowdowns to critical business operations. With custom urethane parts, you can be confident in your operations knowing you have selected the highest quality material for the job and that you may never have to replace your parts again.
About PSI Urethanes
PSI Urethanes has over 49 years of experience as a market leader and innovator in custom molded urethane. With a long history of outstanding quality, superior product performance and excellent customer service, PSI is a trusted provider of custom molded urethane parts, ranging from low quantity prototypes to full production products. Backed by a highly experienced engineering staff, PSI provides creative solutions with product design assistance, offers a vast array of specialty formulated compounds and delivers top quality parts designed to provide the best overall performance and longest lifespan.