Urethane is the preferred material for a variety of industrial applications including gaskets, seals, table tops, bumpers, conveyor liners and more. PSI Urethanes stocks hand-poured urethane pads as well as urethane sheet stock to meet your various application needs.
What makes polyurethane pads suitable for various uses?
POLYURETHANE PADS COME IN VARIOUS FORMS:
- Thickness tolerance ±.030” to ± .045” for standard sizes*.
- Custom and standard durometers (hardness) can range from 60A, 70A, 80A, and 90A (custom 25 Shore OO to 70D).
- Seamed sheets can be custom manufactured for larger sizes and still maintain tight tolerances when seamed together.
- Polyurethane pads can be produced in custom sizes up to 18″ in thickness, 55″ in width, and 138″ in length.
- Large variety of color choices (natural, black, red, blue, royal blue, green, orange, yellow, peach, brown, gray and white). Custom colors available upon request.
- Standard thickness tolerance for .020 – .125 is ±.005
- Standard thickness tolerance for > .125 is ±.010
- Sheets in colors are available in 38.5 x 122.5
- Sheets in natural come in 30.5 x 38.5, 38.5 x 6.25, and 38.5 x 122.5
- Standard thickness tolerance range for .125″ to .5″ is ±.030 – ±.045, depending on width and length
- Standard thickness tolerance range for 2″ to 4″ is ±.060
- Custom sizes are available up to 18″ in thickness, 55″ width, and 138″ length
Benefits of Polyurethane Pads
Many industries prefer urethane cutting surfaces over plastic, glass, or metal.
Here is an example of the benefits of using polyurethane pads versus plastic:
Polyurethane pads prevent cutting blade deflection from scarred working surfaces or from following previous cut marks.
Polyurethane pads can be manufactured in FDA approved formulas for wet and dry food applications.
Only purchase what you need to save money and reduce waste.
Polyurethane has a greater abrasion and tear strength than rubber and is resistant to many chemicals, acids and bases.
Easy to Clean
Polyurethane cutting surfaces are easy to wipe down and both sides of the pad can be utilized.
Depending on durometer and thickenss, die cutting and/or waterjet cutting is an option to save on mold cost for individual parts.
Polyurethane Pads Applications
Polyurethane Gaskets & Seals
Urethane is a preferred material for gaskets/seals, due to its unwavering strength and durability. It can outperform plastic, rubber, and even steel when faced with environmental factors like oil, acid, and many chemicals. It also has a markedly higher load bearing capacity than conventional rubber, which is an important characteristic to have for applications that are inherently high-stress and/or a high-load. To do their job effectively, gaskets must create a reliable seal, even under heavy vibration and intense pressure.
PSI Urethanes can tailor-make precision cast urethane gaskets to meet the specifications of your industry or its environment. Almost every detail can be customized, including the tooling, durometer, and color. With a diverse range of formulations, our cast urethane can be manufactured to meet FDA wet or dry food application requirements.
In offshore applications, advantages to urethane elastomers include their resistance to hydrosis and microbial attack, as well as their reliable performance at low ocean temperatures and high pressure in deep water. They can be used to reduce strain on pipes and cables by flexing in the marine environment, and are suitable for encapsulating electrical components, and for protecting pipes and cables.
Urethane is ideal for table tops because it can be formulated for your specific needs including abrasion resistance, shock absorption, or FDA compliance.
Urethane is not brittle like most plastics and will maintain its strength and impact resistance over a range of durometers (hardness’s). It will provide you with increased noise reduction and material rebound.
Liners for Conveyor Equipment
Urethane liners can bring new life to your operation. These linings protect equipment from prolonged wear and urethane in particular, offers the best abrasion resistance the industry has to offer. Urethane is chemical resistant and can be bonded to metal to provide additional stiffness. It is great for the transport or movement of sticky materials. With urethane, the dirt or sludge rolls off easily.
Urethane bumpers are ideal for applications that require excellent rebound, due to repetitive movement. Abrasion resistance may also be a factor in situations such as conveyor systems or chute liners.
Durometer & Formulations
When determining what durometer and formulation is right for your product, there are a variety of factors that should be considered.
Some examples are:
- Product environment (temperature and/or chemical exposure)
- Does your part need to have grip or be slippery?
- Will your part need to support a certain amount of weight?
- Does it need to be flexible?
- Is there frequent impact?
To define your custom formulation needs, the first and most important step is gaining a full understanding of the application in which the part or product will be used in. This usually involves detailed sketches and designs, an understanding of the product environment and much more. Once the full picture of the application has been realized, you can turn to our experts in urethane formulation for strategic guidance and to help identify the optimal formula needed. Doing this will not only ensure you create the strongest, toughest and most durable custom urethane part to meet your application needs, but will ensure you develop the most cost-effective formulation to achieve your goals.