Many organizations rely on urethane rollers for a variety of applications. Rollers made of urethane are wear resistant and can carry higher loads than other materials with similar hardness. In this blog we will explore the wide range of urethane roller types, the industries that turn to urethane rollers for their needs and how to choose a urethane roller manufacturer.
Urethane Roller Types
Urethane rollers are the perfect solution for high-stress applications due to their ability to stand up to harsh environments. Some common types of urethane rollers include:
- Drive Rollers
- Conveyor Rollers
- Idler Rollers
- Ringer Rollers
- Pinch Rollers
- Nip Rollers
- Feed Rollers
Benefits Of Urethane Rollers
- Marring of products – Polyurethane with pigment or in its natural state, does not mar nor damage any material it comes into contact with. However, rubber has carbon added to it and when it comes into contact with products, it can leave black marks on them. Additionally, metal is very hard and will not only mar objects, but it can also damage them.
- Chemical/Water Resistance – Polyurethane outperforms rubber in applications that are either submerged or exposed to wet environments for a long period of time, where rubber would rot over time or metal may corrode.
- Abrasion Resistance – Polyurethane has excellent abrasion and wear resistance properties, resulting in fewer instances of needing replaced. In instances where rollers experience a great deal of abrasion from combining dynamic loads and high friction, polyurethane surpasses natural rubber. For these reasons, urethane is best for conveyor, driving and printing rollers.
- Low Permanent Set – Rebound is essential for printing, driving and coveyor rollers. Polyurethane can be manufactured to handle your heavy items and not take a set.
- Tensile Strength & Elongation– Polyurethane has the ability to handle more pounds per square inch than rubber without rupturing and breaking apart. This is especially beneficial for driving and conveyor rollers when systems are running fast and carrying a great deal of weight.
- Wide range of formulations/durometers – Polyurethane can be manufactured to your specific requirements. Whether you need FDA approved formulations or specific durometers for grip or strength, urethane can be formulated to give you the best wear for your specific application.
Custom urethane rollers are available with the following specifications:
- Durometer (hardness)
- 25 Shore OO, 40 Shore OO, 50 Shore OO
- 20 Shore A to 90 Shore A
- 50 Shore D to 70 Shore D
- Superior Bonding Technology
- FDA Wet and Dry Formulas
- Variety of Colors
Industries That Use Urethane Rollers
Many industries depend on urethane rollers for their needs including:
- Food Processing industry for conveyor systems
- Steel industry to hold large pipes
- Marine industry to pull boats out of the water
- Machine Maintenance industry for recovering worn out rollers
- Packaging industry for labeling rollers
Selecting a Urethane Roller Manufacturer
Consider the following when selecting a urethane roller manufacturer:
- Review their list of roller specifications such as durometer and custom formulations to ensure that you are getting the best product for your needs.
- Understand their production process. Do they have a machine shop in-house that can produce new urethane rollers as well as re-cover existing rollers?
- What type of surface finishes do they provide? Can they produce turned finish as well as ground finish rollers?
With a long history of outstanding quality, superior product performance and excellent customer service, PSI is a trusted provider of custom and standard urethane rollers. Learn more about PSI Urethane rollers or contact us today.