Hazardous materials are utilized across a wide spectrum of industries and are present in many workplaces. These chemicals come in various forms and can be combustibles, explosives, flammables, corrosives, solvents, or oils. If not properly contained, hazardous materials present risks to personnel, facilities, and the environment as well as operations productivity. Fortunately, these risks can be minimized with proper storage and handling of chemicals in addition to swift spill response steps if an accident occurs.
In the event of an accident, it is imperative to contain the spill and minimize the spread of the hazardous material. When a leak occurs, drains are a critical area that needs immediate protection to contain the spill and prevent further contamination.
When it comes to spill control solutions, there are numerous options available so it may be challenging to pick the right one. For this reason, it is helpful to partner with a company, like PSI Urethanes, that can walk you through the various products to ensure you select the best spill control solution for your specific application. Below are a couple of common spill control solutions for hazardous materials.
- Drain Protectors: a drain protector, or drain cover, is a simple, cost-effective solution that seals the drain – immediately limiting the spread of the hazardous material and avoiding further contamination. Time is of the essence during an accident, thus, drain covers must be easily deployed and create a strong seal. The best drain protectors simply need to be removed from the storage container and placed over the drain.
- Safety Seals: safety seals are highly sought after for spill control solutions in many industries, including oil and gas, hospitals, construction, agriculture, mining/quarrying, and machinery. Two common forms of safety seals are conical plugs, that are suited for circular drains, and barrel patches, that stop leaks from barrels such as 55-gallon drums. Urethane safety seals offer excellent resistance to a broad range of hazardous materials, and are known for their durability.
Does your team process or handle hazardous materials?
Contact PSI to see how our spill control solutions can improve your operations.
PSI’s Spill Control Solutions
Maintain a safe workplace with the best polyurethane spill control products from PSI Urethanes, the industry leader for high-quality urethane solutions. Accidents and spills happen, but a hazardous chemical spill doesn’t have to mean disaster when you’re prepared with a spill containment or sealing product you can trust. PSI’s urethane drain protectors, conical plugs, and barrel patches can resist chemical degradation and maintain a seal when exposed to hazardous materials, long enough for the spill to be cleaned up. We offer a variety of molded polyurethane drain plugs, covers and seals, and chemical resistant drain protectors, and below is information about some of our products.
- Original Polyurethane DrainProtectorTM: introduced in 1992 as the first positive sealing drain protector, this product immediately became the standard for the spill control and hazardous waste industry. Today, it remains the go-to spill control solution for companies around the world. When you’re looking for an expertly engineered protective cover against accidental spills for drains, grates, and manholes, look no further than the Original DrainProtector™.
- DrainProtectorTM II: this is a NEW reversible urethane drain safety seal. The pad is constructed of a solid tacky urethane product with no fillers that deliver a tough, durable seal using either side. Due to its lighter weight, this drain protector can be used quickly for emergency chemical spills.
- Safety Seals: we offer two main types of safety seals: conical plugs and barrel patches. Our urethane conical plugs are uniquely crafted to prevent liquids or spills from entering circular drains. They are often used during preventative maintenance, or to quickly block a drain just before or after a spill has occurred. Our urethane barrel patch safety seals are a quick and easy solution for repairing leaking 55-gallon barrels.
Contact us today to see how we can help find the right spill control product for your industry, or give us a call at 1-800-888-5156.